We all know now why cleaning your home is called houseWORK…but how many Calories can we actually burn?
Hello 2018! That came fast didn’t it! As a tradition in January we often promise ourselves that changes are needed to improve our lives, wether it’s a new diet, exercise more, save money and the most common is a new fitness regime!
Well, not everyone has the luxury of joining the gym and the truth is, you can burn so many calories doing the everyday cleaning jobs around the home! You may have to cut down on the tea and biscuits in between breaks though!
Here is a breakdown of calories you can burn taken from Shape Magazine.
1. Mopping: Take care of those dusty, dirty floors with an hour of mopping and you’ll shed 153 calories.
2. Washing floors: If your floors require a little extra elbow grease, you can shed as many as 187 calories in just 30 minutes.
3. Scrubbing the bath: It might not take you as long as those floors, but some similar umph is required to ditch that soap scum. In 15 minutes, you’ll burn more than 90 calories—and you might feel it in those arms, too!
4. Vacuuming: Depending on the size of your home, vacuuming could make a significant dent in your 10,000 recommended steps a day. In the process, you could burn 119 calories per 30 minutes.
5. Sweeping: A 30-minute dance with the broom will burn off 136 calories.
6. Cleaning windows: Get the grime off the inside and the outside and let the sun shine in.. if it ever shows up. You’ll burn 167 calories in 30 minutes.
7. Oven cleaning: what do you mean you don’t want to clean the oven?? You know we have the tools to help you there! An hours oven clean with some scrubbing can burn over 200 calories! Plus think of how happy you’ll be to see the oven shine!
And then, final exercise – oh come on, there’s always just one more – go over to the kettle, flick the switch and have a sit down!
(All calorie counts are estimates based on a 150-pound person, and will vary with intensity, body composition and weight.)